I love my vanilla cake. I love the flavour and texture. So when I decided to make a vanilla toffee version for my Kate Middleton Purse Cake I didn’t think it could get any better. I was wrong. The brown sugar and toffee bits add a golden sweetness that’s really delicious.
Note: this recipe makes a 6lb portion
Ingredients You Will Need:
2 cups unsalted butter
2 cups sugar
2 cups brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups whole milk
5 cups flour
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup toffee bits
- Sift your flour, baking powder, and salt into a bowl and whisk together. Set aside.
- Cream your butter, sugars and vanilla at medium speed until light and fluffy, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add your eggs to your sugar mixture, two at a time, and blend until incorporated. Scrape down the sides as needed.
- Add your dry ingredients alternatively with your milk. Begin by adding dry, then alternate with wet. Add the dry in four parts, and the wet in three.
- Add the toffee bits.
- Pour your batter into your desired parchment lined pans. Always bake at 350 degrees until a toothpick comes out clean.
If you're using any cake pan sizes other than the pans for my Kate Middleton Purse Cake, please refer to my handy baking chart below: