This chocolate cake is my go to recipe. I love the fact that this cake is moist and delicious. I also wanted to make a cake sturdy enough to carve into novelty cakes like the ones you see on How To Cake It (don't forget to subscribe!). I’ve been making this chocolate cake recipe for 15 years, adding a few tweaks here and there, and it has never let me down. Whether it's smothered in buttercream, draped with fondant or dripping with ganache, this cake is a must!
My Ultimate Chocolate Cake Recipe!
See the chart below for this recipe in different quantities! **Make sure your butter and eggs are at room temperature before you begin!
Ingredients & Tools you will need:
Electric Stand Mixer and Paddle Attachment
Desired Cake Pans
How To Make The Perfect Chocolate Cake Batter!
- Sift your flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into a bowl and whisk together. Set aside.
- Boil some water. Pour your hot water onto your cocoa and whisk until your cocoa dissolves completely. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Cream your butter and sugar at medium speed until light and fluffy, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add your eggs to your sugar mixture, two at a time, and blend until incorporated. Scrape down the sides as needed.
- Add your dry ingredients alternatively with your warm cocoa mixture. Begin by adding dry, then alternate with wet. Add dry in four parts, and the wet in three.
- Pour your batter into your desired parchment lined pans. Always bake at 350 degrees according to the chart below, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Sign up to become a How To Cake It member! Okay, okay, I admit this isn't really a recipe step, but I'll give you VIP access to all my video tutorials BEFORE they are released on YouTube, AND send you member-only discount codes for all the merchandise on my site! Sign up HERE.
Yo's Handy Baking Charts!
Below will give you an idea of the types of pans you can use to bake this delicious recipe of Vanilla Cake, along with the suggested baking times, as well as the correct portions of ingredients to use for baking.